This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Greenland Administration Ships, Denmark

Last modified: 2014-05-29 by zoltán horváth
Keywords: denmark | greenland administration | harpoon |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Greenland Administration Ships] 56:107, by Željko Heimer

Two white harpoons in saltire in the canton of the state ensign.
Željko Heimer, 31 May 2004

[Greenland Administration Ships] image by Željko Heimer and António Martins-Tuválkin

This is a flag with a very interesting history. It was originally the flag of a trading company, but evolved into the ensign used by ships belonging to the Ministry for Greenland. The flag was first introduced in 1781, and had two white harpoons in saltire in the canton. From 1795 the letters "K.G.H.", meaning Kongelig Grønlandske Handel (Royal Greenland Trading Company) in gold/yellow were added to the centre of the cross. The letters later disappeared and a Royal resolution of 28 June 1846 confirmed the harpoons only. Closer to our time, the flag was used by the Ministry for Greenland and its subdivisions (for instance the Royal Greenland Trading Company). Presumably it became obsolete when Greenland got its own flag and the home rule authorities took over the responsibility for the services formerly run by the Ministry for Greenland and the Royal Greenland Trading Company.
Paige Herring, 23 April 1998

Allen and Ginter's Card series (erroneously) shows this flag for Iceland: a golden pair of crossed arrows pointing up on the canton and "KGH" on the horizontal crossbar.
António Martins-Tuválkin, 18 September 2006