Last modified: 2011-11-11 by german editorial team
Keywords: wittmund |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
3:5 image by Jörg Majewski, 13 Jan 2008
Flag adopted 1980
The arms were granted on October 1, 1951.
The district is situated along the North Sea coast and has many harbours. This is symbolised by the ship in the arms. The bear on the front sail is taken from the arms of the Attena family from Esens, one of the main ruling families in the 14th and 15th century. The ships on the middle sail are taken from the arms of Hero Omken and are taken from the arms of the city of Wittmund. The eagle on the back sail represents the castle and Amt Friedeburg.
Literature : Stadler, K., 1964-1971.
Source: Ralf Hartemink.