Last modified: 2012-09-09 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: willich | armorial | cross(greek) | square | chain |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Willich had c.50,000 inhabitants in 1998.
Kai A. Hamm, 23 Jun 2000
The City of Willich was formed in the 1970s. In Willich there are 4 districts - Willich (or Old Willich) Anrath, Schiefbahn and Neersen - which were previously independent municipalities. These were very poor, for example Anrath sent a letter to the regional administration asking to close the municipalitiy. The first district, which was called as the first village in an offical document was Anrath, it was called "Anrode", that means "near a clearing of a forest". This was in the year 1010. Neersen Castle is the most famous building in Willich, built in the 16th century. Today Willich has the biggest commercial district in Europe, called Muenchheide.
Tim Kreutzer, 18 Mar 2002
Description of coat of arms:
In the centre of a blue shield is a small golden (= yellow) Greek cross in the middle of a square of the same colour. Square and cross are connected by a golden chain made of w-shaped elements.
According to source the cross is alluding to the archbishopric and electorate of Köln, the square is symbolizing the four former municipalities of Anrath, Neersen, Schiefbahn and Willich. The chain elements are initials of the new municipality.
Stadler 1972, p.102
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 12 Aug 2012
back to Viersen cities and municipalities click here.