This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Wartburgkreis County (Thuringia, Germany)


Last modified: 2013-12-09 by german editorial team
Keywords: thuringia | wartburgkreis county | landkreis wartburgkreis | coat of arms: quartered (lion: barry) | coat of arms: quartered (hen: black) | coat of arms: quartered (cross: black) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Wartburgkreis County (Thuringia, Germany)] 2:3
by Stefan Schwoon
Flag and coat-of-arms adopted 27th July 1995

See also:


White-red with the arms. According to the county statutes, available online at the county website, both a flag and a banner [hanging flag] exist. The cross in the third quarter of the arms represents the diocese of Fulda. The county is named after the famous castle Wartburg which is well-known because Martin Luther was hidden there from persecution in 1521. Sources: flag from Ulle 2000, arms from the Thuringia official website.

Stefan Schwoon, 17 March 2001

Flag adopted 27.07.1995, according to Dirk Schönberger's Administrative Divisions of the World website. From Ralf Hartemink's International Civic Arms website:

The arms were granted on July 27, 1995. The arms combine elements from the arms of the territories to which the district historically belonged: the lion of the Dukes of Thuringia in the first and fourth quarters, in the second quarter the canting arms of the County Henneberg, and in the third quarter the cross of the Imperial Abbey and State of Fulda.

Literature: Linder and Olzog 1996.

Santiago Dotor, 27 February 2002

Hanging Flag


[Wartburgkreis County hanging flag (Thuringia, Germany)] 5:2
by Stefan Schwoon
Flag and coat-of-arms adopted 27th July 1995