This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

City of Wedel (Holstein) (Germany)

Stadt Wedel (Holstein), Kreis Pinneberg, Schleswig-Holstein

Last modified: 2012-11-18 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: wedel (holstein) | nettle leaf | roland statue |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Wedel (Holstein) flag] 3:5 image by Jörg Majewski, 19 Jun 2006
approved 26 November 1963 See also:

Description of flag:
The flag's ratio is 3:5. It is a blue flag with horizontal red and white stripes at top and bottom edges. The red stripes are at the outer ends. The blue part has three times height of the other ones. The ratio of the stripes is estimated 4:1:15:1:4. The figures of the coat of arms without shield are in the centre of the hoist-half of the flag.
Source: I spotted this flag on 24 July 2007 at the ship-greeting-point in Schulau on the northern bank of Elbe river, west of Hamburg. Schulau belongs to the city of Wedel. At the ship-greeting -point for every ship the flag of her homeland is hoisted and the national anthem is played, when the ship passes this point.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 30 Sep 2007

Coat of Arms

[Wedel (Holstein) CoA] image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 30 Sep 2007

Description of coat of arms:
It is the coat of arms of the counts of Schaumburg, the former rulers of Holstein. Within the nettle-leaf is a so-called Roland. The Roland is black-bearded, wears golden armour, is golden crowned, has a red belt and wears a coat outside red but inside blue. He holds a sword and an imperial globe in his hands.
The red shield with nettle leaf is symbolizing the rule of the counts of Schaumburg up to 1640. A statue of Roland is right on the marketplace of Wedel. When it was placed there, it was a symbol for gaining the title of a market-town. The wooden statue was replaced by a statue of stone in 1585. In 1786 the town gained the title of a Flecken (Lower German: Bleeck), which included the right to use an own seal.
The coat of arms was adopted in 1876 without permission.
Source: Reißmann 1997 , p.357
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 30 Sep 2007

Both, current flag and coat of arms, have been officially approved on 26 November 1963.

back to Pinneberg cities and municipalities click here.