This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Municipality of Weeze (Germany)

Gemeinde Weeze, Kreis Kleve, Northrhine-Westphalia

Last modified: 2012-09-05 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: weeze | dragonhead | rose bush | monk | nimbed | st. cyriac |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors




[Weeze flag] 3:5  image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 29 Jul 2011
approved 26 April 1928 See also:

Current Flag

Description of current flag:
The flag's ratio is 3:5. It is a white over blue over yellow horizontal bicolour. The coat of arms is in the centre of the flag.
Source: 2(2) of Hauptsatzung of the municipality of Weeze, version 14 December 2006
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 29 Jul 2011

Banner in Use

[Weeze banner] image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 29 Jul 2011

Description of bannerflag:
It is a white over blue over yellow horizontal bicolour. The coat of arms is within the blue stripe.
Source: municipal website
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 29 Jul 2011

Coat of Arms

Description of coat of arms:
The shield is divided per pale. The dexter side shows in a blue field a monk dressed silver (=white) nimbed golden (=yellow) and holding a book and a abranch of palm in his hands, both golden (=yellow). The sinister side is divided per fess. Above in a golden (=yellow) field is a black dragon's head, below in a silver (=white) field is a branch of a rose bush, having green leaves and red roses.
Meaning:
According to source the arms are based on the old seals of Weeze. Weeze was in the 14th century a possession of both, the counts of Geldern also being the counts of Kleve. From 1446 until 1630 the local court already used a seal with the present arms. The dexter side of the arms shows the patron saint, St.Cyriac, and in the upper sinister half a dragon's head. The dragon is based on the legend of St.Cyriac, who put a dragon on a chain. The second seal of Weeze also shows the same arms.
Sources: 2(1) of /Hauptsatzung of the municipality of Weeze /, version 14 December 2006, Nagel 1986 and S. Frankewitz and G. Fenner : "De zegels der steden en dorpen in het overkwartier van Geldre - Die Siegel der Städte und Dörfer im geldrischen Oberquartier." (Dutch and German; Engl.: "The seals of the cities and villages in Geldrian Upper Quarter"), Venlo
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 29 Jul 2011

Flag and coat of arms were approved by Prussian ministry of state on 26 April 1928.


back to Kleve cities and municipalities click here.