This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Municipality of Wrangelsburg (Germany)

Gemeinde Wrangelsburg, Landkreis Vorpommern-Greifswald, Amt Züssow, Mecklenburg-Westpomerania

Last modified: 2012-02-10 by german editorial team
Keywords: wrangelsburg | wall |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

See also:

Current Flag

[Wrangelsburg flag] 3:5 image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 27 Jan 2012

Description of current flag:
The flag's ratio is 3:5. It is an armorial flag.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 27 Jan 2012

Coat of arms

Description of coat of arms:
In a blue shield is a golden (=yellow) W-shaped,e mbattled wall masoned black.
The municipality consists of the villages of Gladrow and Wrangelsburg. Wrangelsburg was known as Vorwerk until 1653. Herman Wrangel (1587-1643), Swedish field-marshall in the 30-years-war and governor of Livonia (currently divided between Latvia and Estonia), became owner of the domain of Vorwerk in 1643. His son Carl Gustav Wrangel (1613-1676),count of Salmis, marshall-of-the-realm and governor general of Swedish Pomerania gained the domain by change within the kin in 1653. He renamed Vorwerk in the same year into "Wrangelsburg". The arms of the Wrangel kin showed a black wall shaped like a "W". The coat of arms of the municipality is based upon this pattern. Blue and yellow are the colours of Sweden. They are symbolizing that Wrangelsburg was a Swedish possession for some 160 years.
Source: [szh11], p.377
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 27 Jan 2012

Flag and coat of arms were approved by minister of interior of Mecklenburg-Westpomerania on 6 September 2001, published in the roll of arms of Mecklenburg-Westpomerania as no. 0249.

back to Vorpommern-Greifswald cities and municipalities click here

Return to Top of this Page |   | Return to Home Page (Site Search Engines) |