Last modified: 2014-03-26 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: wartenberg | dragon |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Since about 1470 the Markt (market-town) Wartenberg has used its own seal, the first imprint dates from 1514. Although varied over time, at the beginning of the 20th century the drawings of the arms returned to the original description [blazon]: Gules, a dragon Or, langued Argent. The flag is red-yellow and is derived from the arms. It is used since about 1955, since 1990 it is also used with the arms on it. Before 1955 and even today flags in the colours green-red have been in use.
M. Schmöger, 3 April 2001
From Ralf Hartemink's International Civic Arms website:
The arms show a dragon, that is probably derived from a Roman tympanum in the local St. Nicholas church. The town became a Markt in 1310, but seals are not known until 1514. This seal already shows the dragon. In the 17th and 18th centuries the dragon gradually changed to a basilisk with a cock's head, standing on a mountain. In the 19th century this changed again to a normal cock. The present arms are granted in 1955 and are based on the old seal of the town. The colours are the oldest known colours, dating from 1565.
Literature: Stadler 1964-1972.
Santiago Dotor, 12 April 2002
Before 1955 (unknown since when) and even today flags in the colours green-red have been in use. These are probably derived from erroneous colours of the arms used before 1955 (on a red field a green dragon, or a yellow dragon on a green triple mount).
M. Schmöger, 3 Apr 2001
back to Erding cities and municipalities click here