This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

City of Dorfen (Germany)

Stadt Dorfen, Kreis Erding, Oberbayern District, Bavaria

Last modified: 2014-03-26 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: dorfen | houses(3) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[City of Dorfen w/ CoA (Germany)] image by M. Schmöger, 2 Apr 2001
See also: Other sites:


The first seal of Dorfen dates from 1374 and already shows the arms that are in used nowadays (blazon: Azure, three houses two and one Argent, roofed Or). However, the colours are not really clear: until the beginning of the 20th century the roofs were painted red, since at least the 1950's a variant of the arms was used, that showed a shield per bend sinister Azure and Gules. The colours of the flag are blue and red; they are derived from the blue field of the arms and either the red roofs or the red colour in the arms variant. The flag has not been adopted officially, since the unheraldic combination of blue and red would not have been approved by the authorities. It is not totally clear, since when the flag is in use. The claim by the town Dorfen, in a 1964 letter, that "blue and red exist demonstrably for about 150 years", is almost certainly wrong. It is probable that the flag was used for the first time in the years after 1954, when Dorfen was promoted from a Markt (market-town) to a Stadt (town). The flag is used with and without the arms.
M. Schmöger, 2 Apr 2001

The three houses are a canting element, Dorf means village. The three houses already appear on the oldest known seals of Dorfen from the 14th century. All later seals and images show the houses. The shape, size and colour, however varies widely. In the 16th century the shield was displayed as silver with red roofs on the houses. Since 1812 the blue colour of Bavaria is used and the yellow colour of the roofs appeared first in the late 19th century.
Literature: Stadler 1965, p.42
Santiago Dotor, 11 Apr 2002

Variant without Coat-of-Arms

[City of Dorfen plain (Germany)] image by M. Schmöger, 2 Apr 2001
Flag used unofficially since ca.1954

back to Erding cities and municipalities click here