Last modified: 2014-06-28 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: wesermarsch |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
3:5 image by Jörg Majewski, 12 Jan 2008
Flag adopted - unofficial
The arms were granted on February 2, 1953.
The right part of the arms shows the bars of the Counts of Oldenburg. A large part of the district belonged to Oldenburg since 1234. The ship in the upper left part is a Kogge, a typical medieval trading ship. It symbolises the longtime trade at the mouth of the Weser river. The warrior in the lower left quarter symbolises the old Frisian tribes that lived in the area.
Literature : Stadler, K. : Deutsche Wappen - Bundesrepublik Deutschland. Angelsachsen Verlag, 1964-1971, 8 volumes.
Source: Ralf Hartemink.