This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

German Red Cross 1949-1990 (East Germany)

deutsches rotes kreuz, drk

Last modified: 2012-09-12 by pete loeser
Keywords: deutsches rotes kreuz | drk |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[German Red Cross (East Germany)] 3:5 Image by Jaume Ollé and Santiago Dotor
Flag abolished 1966

On this page: See also:

East German Red Cross c1949-1966

     Since health care and emergency services were entirely run by the state, domestic activities [of the] Red Cross in the GDR were different from western chapters of this international organization. The organization focused on medical education, first aid, CPR, and accident prevention. It also was involved in international aid operations for earthquake victims etc.
     The first flag of the East German Red Cross (shown above) was a white flag with DRK symbol in center. The symbol was a red cross, surrounded by the words DEUTSCHES ROTES KREUZ in a red circle.
Volker Moerbitz Keith, 29 Jan 2001

East German Red Cross Flag 1966-1990

The first flag was replaced in 1966 by a similar one in which DEUTSCHES ROTES KREUZ occupied only the upper half of the red circle, the bottom half being inscribed with DEUTSCHE DEMOKRATISCHE REPUBLIK, as the official name of this organisation was modified that year from Deutsches Rotes Kreuz to Deutsches Rotes Kreuz der DDR. Source: Günther 2000.
Santiago Dotor, 5 Oct 2001

| Return to Home Page |   | Return to Top of this Page |