Last modified: 2011-03-18 by andrew weeks
Keywords: trest | unicorn |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Třešť - the second biggest centre in the Jihlava district, lies in a
deep defile in the Czech-Moravian highland, surrounded by mild as well
as steeper hills. In the east Špičák (734m) rises, in the north Čeřínek
(768m) and on the horizon of the south side Javořice (836). The original
heart of the town - the parish village Třešť - was founded at the turn
of the 12th and the 13th centuries. It was founded by the brook, where
two trade routs crossed. The first written document dates back to 1349
when Třešť was a small demesne with a church and a citadel and belonged
to Záviš from Třešť. There were several owners in the course of following
centuries in Třešť. It belonged to the Šternberk family, the Vencelík family,
the Herbenstein family - they owed it for 300 years and the last 100 years
till 1945 it belonged to Wenzel- Sternbach family. Třešť became a town
in 1901. The foundation of the townlet of Třešť with its Jewish community
was without doubt connected with the discovery and royal mining of silver
in the Jihlava region (around 1240). The townlet was founded on the left
bank of the brook Třeštice with a big triangular square in the middle.
The original village with the parish church of St. Martin and with the
citadel lay on the right bank. In the 16th century when Třešť was in the
possession of the Vencelík's family from Vrchoviště and in Žirovnice, on
the origin place of the citadel was built a chateau and on the square the
Lutheran church was founded - nowadays the church of St. Catherine. The
Empire synagogue built after the big fire of the town in 1824 has preserved
left by former Jewish community. Franz Kafka's stays in the town are connected
with the Třešť Jewish community. The origin of his work "The Country Doctor"
is set into this scene. The industry was developing at the beginning of
the 19th century. The cloth factory, the match-factory were founded and
the small series manufacture of clock boxes and carved furniture began
in 1868. The evidence of the Třešť Christmas crib making that has been
developing since the 18th century attracts the visitors of the town museum.
Originally only drawn and coloured figures turned into exacting carving
execution in the course of the 19th century.
Source: The Třešť history page.
Jarig Bakker, 8 July 2000