This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Frymburk (Czech Republic)

Cesky Krumlov okres, South Bohemian Region

Last modified: 2012-03-31 by andrew weeks
Keywords: frymburk |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Frymburk flag]  image by Jarig Bakker, 1 Jan 2004
adopted 4 Jun 1998 See also:

Frymburk municipality flag

Frymburk is a municipality in Česky Krumlov district, in the South Bohemian Region of Czechia. The flag is depicted in Petr Exner's Vexilologický Lexikon prapory obcí ČR (1998); Flag adopted 4 Jun 1998. The coat of arms is on this website; description: On a silver shield is a red five-petaled rose with a gold center and green calyx leaves. (on the site the "calyx" leaves are black, and compared to the flag the rose is upside-down.
The seal evidently developed from the stamp of the regional nobility, the lords of Rosenberg.
The flag has three horizontal equally wide stripes blue - white - blue, with in the center a red rose with yellow heart and five green leaves.
The first written mention about Frymburk is from 1277. Originally belonged to Lords of Krumlov and after 1302 to Rosenbergs. It is town from 1379. The town was originally a market village from the late 13th century on the trade route from upper Austria to Bohemia. The Rosenbergs established a toll-road at the bridge across the Vltava River which was already mentioned in 1305. Declared a town in 1379. In 1492 Peter Wok von Rosenberg granted the town certain rights which freed the citizenry from serfdom. Right to brew beer granted by Wilhelm von Rosenberg. Emperor Franz II confirmed Frymburk's privilege which had been granted by Emperor Josef II on 28 April 1789, allowing the town a weekly Tuesday market as well as a Christmas market (Jarmark) on St. Ann's day. Part of the town was flooded during the construction of Lake Lipno.
Jarig Bakker, 1 Jan 2004

Frymburk coat of arms

[Frymburk coat of arms] from this website.