This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Canton of Fricktal (1802-1803), Switzerland

Last modified: 2011-01-07 by rob raeside
Keywords: switzerland | fricktal | linden leaf |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Flag of Canton of Friktal] image by Jan Mertens, 5 May 2008

See also:

Canton of Frictal

Shown on is a white flag bearing a green linden leaf. This flag can be considered a regional flag used in the North of Switzerland – Canton Aargau, to be precise – but as a banner of arms it also evokes the short-lived Canton of Fricktal (1802-3) as part of the Helvetic Republic. Before that, it was the Austrian 'Amt' or district Frick.

See following history map (top of page, where ‘24’ represents this territory): and short presentations (first one in English):

One of three stars in the Aargau arms, and consequently in the flag, represents Fricktal named ‘Frick Valley’. The Fricktal arms are now borne by Schupfart (since 1872).

Born out of revolutionary turmoil and liquidated to the advantage of Aargau, Fricktal lives on as a geographically distinct area and its name is used in lower-level administrative bodies of various kinds.
Jan Mertens, 5 May 2008

Fricktal emerged as a separate entity when Aargau was split up in the fifteenth century. In 1803 Fricktal was joined with the other two parts of Aargau territory to create the current canton of Aargau.
Peter Hans van den Muijzenberg, 5 May 2008