This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Township of Langley, British Columbia (Canada)

Last modified: 2012-08-09 by rob raeside
Keywords: langley (township) | british columbia | dogwood flowers |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Langley Township, British Columbia] image by Blas Delgado

See also:

Description of the flag

From the township website:

"The Township of Langley was one of the first municipalities in the province to be incorporated - on April 26, 1873. It has its roots in Fort Langley which is the birthplace of British Columbia and has grown from a farming and fishing community dependent on the Fraser River for transportation and livelihood to one of the fastest growing municipalities in the Lower Mainland. In 1827, the Hudson's Bay Company established the first Fort Langley at Derby Reach on the Fraser River. There on November 19, 1858, Sir James Douglas read the proclamation creating the colony of British Columbia. Every year, formally since 1947, on November 19th, the Township of Langley recognizes its own pioneers and the significant role they have played to mould our community.

[Langley Township Coat of Arms]
Langley Township

The Coat of Arms being presented to the Township embodies components of key players - the Hudson's Bay Company - the Aboriginal people - whose historic roles have made Langley's history unique. Mr. Robert Watt, Chief Herald of Canada, granted a coat of arms to the Township of Langley on April 26, 1998 in a very unique Aboriginal "witnessing" ceremony that celebrated the local municipal government, the local Aboriginal government and the Hudson's Bay Company working in partnership to recognize our joint heritage. Explanation of our Symbols Arms (Shield) There is double symbolism in the shield, first using the initial letter in the Corporation's name and secondly a strong figure representing Langley as an important historic and present day crossroads of activity. The dogwood flowers honour Langley's status as the first capital of British Columbia while the wavy white and blue lines celebrate the importance of the rivers of the community, notably the Fraser River.

Crest (above the shield)

The crest sits on the traditional steel helmet of heraldry which can be taken to represent Council's and citizens' role in defending the interests of the community. The mantling, flowing down and around is in green and white, the principal colours of the shield. The lower part of the crest is composed of a mural coronet and open crown of cut dressed stones which is the traditional heraldic emblem for municipal governments. It is coloured in gold to represent the wealth flowing from various types of enterprise.

On the coronet is a frieze of red maple leaves, for Canada, alternating with white dogwood flowers for B.C. Rising out of the coronet is a representation of one of the corner bastion towers at Fort Langley, representing the Corporation's status as the site of the first government in colonial B.C. (the mainland colony).


Following the classic rules of heraldry, the Corporation's flag is composed of the colours and elements shown on the shield redrawn to fit a banner two units wide times one unit high.

Compartment and Supporters

The shield rests and the supporters stand on a compartment of green grass, symbolizing the Township's pastoral landscape. On the left side is a gold mare. She wears a collar of flowers and leaves. The pendent on the collar is an emblem designed by Kwantlen artist Brandon GabrieI. On the right side is a gold stallion with a similar collar. From it hangs a green cogwheel. The horses honour pioneer agriculture, transport and the continuing presence of horse-based recreation. There is one male and one female to symbolize the women and men who have worked together for more than a century to build the community.

The collars represent commercial farming. The Gabriel design celebrates the heritage and ongoing presence of the First Peoples who have lived in the area for centuries and the cogwheel symbolizes new tertiary level industry and commerce. The mare carries a flagstaff flying the Township flag and the stallion carries the famous red ensign of the Hudson's Bay Company, builders of Fort Langley


This is made up of the central cross (the "Langley" cross) from the shield of the arms a white open crown above which is made of dogwood flowers set on a circlet. The symbolism repeats themes from the shield and crest with the dogwood coronet representing the first government in colonial B.C. Motto Chosen by Council as a version of the historic motto to salute the spirit of Langley's citizens. 'Nothing Without Effort'"

Area 307 km2, Population (2001) 86896

The artist specified in the description of the supporter's collar is the same native artist who created the central element in Kwantlen College's arms. He is a member of the Kwantlen band, and the college has a campus in Langley (actually in the City, not the Township)
Dean McGee