Last modified: 2012-08-09 by rob raeside
Keywords: oil drops | ducal crown | leduc | alberta | sun |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
From the city website
Arms: The gold and red link the Arms to the colours used by the City in its current wordmark. The gold symbolizes the wealth from grain, and from the oil that for more than 50 years has been a pillar of the local, provincial and national economy. The black drops are a traditional heraldic method of representing oil, and here they represent the first wells that were tapped: the huge Leduc oil field beginning in 1957. The ducal cornet is a pun on the name of the City and honours its namesake, Pčre Leduc.
Flag: The flag appears as the Arms in a rectangular format.
The Arms was an original concept of Robert D. Watt, Chief Herald of Canada. Granted 20 August 2004.
And from the history of Leduc
researched by Phil Nelson, 15 July 2005
The history of Leduc can be traced back to 1889 when Robert Taylor Telford settled on a piece of land near a scenic lake. This piece of land would become the cornerstone of the new town. During those earlier years, Robert Telford was the first postmaster, first general merchant and first justice of the peace in the settlement that had become informally known as Telford. He also later served the community as Mayor and as a member of the Legislative Assembly.
In 1890, a government telegraph office was being set up by Mr. McKinely, a settler in the area. He needed a name for the place and said, "We shall name it after the first person who comes in." In through the door came Father Leduc.
In 1899, Lieutenant Governor Dewdney of the Northwest Territories, decreed that the settlement of Telford should be renamed "Leduc" in honor of the noted Roman Catholic missionary, Father Hippolyte Leduc, who had served the area since 1867, and later went on to become the Vicar General of the Diocese of Edmonton.
The municipality of Leduc was officially incorporated as the Village of Leduc on December 15, 1899, grew to attain town status on December 15, 1906 and eventually became the City of Leduc on September 1, 1983.
Leduc continued to grow and prosper as a major stopping point between Edmonton and Calgary. However it wasn't until February 13, 1947 when oil was first discovered at Leduc No. 1, that the new era was ushered in. This discovery was the beginning of a massive economic revolution for Leduc and Alberta. Alberta changed, from a predominately rural and agricultural province to an urban economy dominated by the oil and gas industry.
Grant of Arms, Supporters, Flag and Badge
August 20, 2004
Vol. IV, p. 391
Description: A banner of the Arms. Coat of arms: Or goutté de poix a ducal coronet Gules;