This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Eckville, Alberta (Canada)

Lacombe County

Last modified: 2012-08-09 by rob raeside
Keywords: alberta | eckville | wheat ears | griffin | locomotive wheel | helmet: knight |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

Eckville flag image by António Martins-Tuválkin, 13 July 2007

See also:


The municipal flag consists of a crest and arms which are described as follows


  • The green shield colour and the gold rears of wheat indicate the agriculture of the area
  • The white on the shield represents peacefulness and serenity
  • The jagged sawtooth line represents the Rocky Mountain range
  • The red griffin (animal like figure) is taken from the Town's namesake in Scotland
  • The helmet indicates friendliness


  • The colours of the wreath and mantling are derived from the main colours of the shield (green and gold)
  • The blue flame represents the natural gas of the area
  • The locomotive wheel denotes the advantages and economic development of the area

Source: Eckville "Community of Choice"
Darrell Neuman, 2 December 2006

A Canadian pale of blue and white with the full achievement of the arms on the white panel, under the lettering "Town of Eckville" set in slab-serif blue capitals. The arms are Argent a large ear of wheat Or between two smaller ones all set in pale and on a chief dancetty Vert a griffin Gules. Mantling and wreath Vert and Or and for crest a wheel Or bruning on flames Argent nimbused Azure. Yellow scroll reading "Eckville" in black capitals.
António Martins-Tuválkin, 13 July 2007

About Eckville

The Town of Eckville (population: 1,019) is located in Central Alberta between Rocky Mountain House and Red Deer and is a few kilometers North of Highway 11.

The name Eckville commemorates Arthur E.T. Eckford. The original landowner of "Old Eckville", Mr. Eckford emigrated from Ireland to the district in 1902. In 1905 he donated land for a store and a post office. By 1908, the Hamlet included a Hotel, cheese factory, blacksmith shop and a school across the river. In 1912 when the Canadian National Railroad completed its line one and a half miles south of Eckville, people and businesses moved to establish "New Eckville" at the present location.

Eckville was incorporated as a Village in 1921 and became a town in 1966. The Town celebrated its 75th anniversary in June 1996 and was most honored to have in attendance several members of the "Eckford" family.

Well-known explorer, Anthony Henday, has referred to the Eckville area in his travels. He is reported to have been told by his Cree Indian guides that the hill NW of Eckville offered his last view of the "Shining Mountains" as he traveled East. Hence, the name "Last Hill" was given to the hill and a local creek.

Source: Eckville "Community of Choice"
Darrell Neuman, 2 December 2006