This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Lorena, São Paulo State (Brazil)

Last modified: 2013-02-24 by ian macdonald
Keywords: sao paulo | lorena | fleur-de-lis (white) | cross: lorraine (black) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

SP (Brazil)] image by Joseph McMillan

See also:

About the Flag of Lorena

The municipality of Lorena (82,553 inhabitants in 2010; 41,377 ha) is located in the Paraíba Valley, 200 km of São Paulo.

Lorena was originally established as the Guaypacaré Port by pioneers and travellers who needed to cross river Paraíba to reach the gold deposits of Minas Gerais. In 1705, Bento Rodrigues Caldeira, João de Almeida and Pedro da Costa Colaço offered pieces of land to build a chapel dedicated to Our Lady of Piety. Known by the natives as Guaypacaré, the settlement that developed near the chapel was known as Vila da Terra de Bento Rodrigues Caldeira or Freguesia de Nossa Senhora. da Piedade. The municipality of Lorena was established on 14 November 1778 by Decree of Bernardo José Lorena, Captain General and Governor of São Paulo, subsequently made Count of Sarzedas. In the 19th century, Lorena was the residence of several nobles of the Imperial Court, such as the Count of Moreira Lima, the Baron of Bocaína, the Viscountess of Castro Lima and the Baron of Santa Eulália. - Website of the Municipal Council

The symbols of Lorena are prescribed in Article 4 of the Municipal Constitution as "the flag, the coat of arms and the anthem".

The flag of Lorena, designed by Ricardo Gomes Figueira, is prescribed by Municipal Law No. 507 of 9 August 1965. The flag was officially inaugurated on 14 November 1966.

A red flag with a white fleur-de-lis superimposed on a black cross of Lorraine (in Portuguese, Lorena).

Red and white are the colours of Captain General of São Paulo Bernardo José Lorena, Count of Sarzedas, who granted the municipal status to the old town of Guaypacaré and renamed it Lorena. The fleur-de-lis evokes the purity of the town's patron saint, Our Lady of the Piety. The Cross of Lorraine represents the Christian faith of the people. - "Enciclopédia VP" website
Ivan Sache, 2 February 2013