This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Jaú, São Paulo State (Brazil)

Last modified: 2012-12-29 by ian macdonald
Keywords: sao paulo | jau | gyronny: 6 (blue | white | red) | eagle | trees | fish | disk (yellow) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

Jaú, SP (Brazil) image by Blas Delgado Ortiz

See also:

Other sites:

About the Flag of Jaú

The multicolor flag of this municipality in its full glory, information, and the coat of arms can be seen at official municipal website.
Dov Gutterman, 4 July 2001

The flag is gyronny of six, blue, white and red (going clockwise from the top), with yellow stripes dividing the six fields. The coat of arms is placed on a yellow disk in the center. The coat of arms is blue, with a red jahu ( a fish from which the river where the city is located took its name) on a wavy silver stripe. Above the stripe is a silver eagle, armed and membered red, holding in its talons a gold airplane propeller inscribed “JAHU,” the name of the Brazilian seaplane that crossed the Atlantic from Genoa to Santo Amaro, São Paulo, in 1927. The commander of the flight was a native of Jaú, of which Jahu is the old spelling. The shield is flanked by a pear tree and a coffee plant. The motto reads Ibica re ig. I don’t know what language this is or what it means.
Joseph McMillan, 18 March 2003

Official website at The flag is shown on the official site at
Dirk Schönberger, 27 November 2012

The municipality of Jaú (131,068 inhabitants in 2010; 68,834 ha) is located in central São Paulo State, 300 km of São Paulo. The municipality is made of the town of Jaú proper and of the district of Potunduva.

Jaú is named for a big fish locally called "jaú", caught by pioneers; the place of the catch was called Barra do Ribeirão do Jaú. On 15 August 1853, some settlers of the area decided to establish a new settlement, on pieces of land offered by Francisco Gomes Botão and Manoel Joaquim Lopes. The parish of Jaú, part of the municipality of Brotas, was established on 24 March 1859 by Law No. 11. The municipality of Jaú was established on 6 February 1889 by Law No. 6.

Photos of the flag: 

Ivan Sache, 1 December 2012