Last modified: 2014-07-12 by ian macdonald
Keywords: rio grande do sul | novo hamburgo |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Ivan Sache,
22 June 2014
Based on: http://portal.camaranh.rs.gov.br/municipio/brasao
Vertically divided, 1:2, red and green, with the municipal arms in a white disk on the field boundary.
Official website at
Dirk Schönberger, 4 March 2012
The municipality of Novo Hamburgo (238,940 inhabitants, therefore the 8th
most populous municipality in the state; 22,360 ha) is located 40 km from Porto
Alegre. The municipality is made of 27 boroughs, the most populous of them being
Canudos (62,292 inh.).
Novo Hamburgo (New Hamburg) was founded in 1824 by German immigrants. The municipality of Novo Hamburgo was established on 5 April 1927.
Novo Hamburgo is the National Capital of Shoes. The Shoe International Fair attracts every year more than 400,000 visitors.
http://www.novohamburgo.rs.gov.br - Municipal website
The symbols of Novo Hamburgo are prescribed in Article 4 of the Municipal Constitution, last revised on 6 October 2011, as follows:
"The symbols of the municipality of Novo Hamburgo are a coat of arms, a flag, an anthem, an other symbols established by Law."
http://portal.camaranh.rs.gov.br/lei-organica-e-regimento-interno/LOM_TEXTO_ATUALIZADO.pdf - Municipal Constitution
The flag and arms of Novo Hamburgo are prescribed in Municipal Law no. 64 of 23 November 1970. The Law abrogates Municipal Law no. 52 of 30
November 1957, which might indicate that other symbols were used in the 1957-1970 period.
The flag is described as follows:
Two panels, green and red, the red panel covering 2/3 of the flag. In the center, over the limit of the two panels, inscribed in a white disk, the municipal coat of arms in full colours.
The coat of arms is described as follows:
Portuguese shield, divided per bend sinister, with colours gules (red), or and vert (green). In the middle, on the field or and placed tangentially to the bends gules and vert [on the drawing, slightly overlapping the bends], a disk azure (blue) charged in the middle with a cog wheel argent, a symbol of industry, and inscribing the Immigrant's Monument proper, that is granite (or sandstone) pink. The shield supported by two branches of laurel proper tied by a red knot.
Beneath the shield a scroll azure (blue) inscribed with the writing "NOVO HAMBURGO / 5 de abril de 1927" in letters argent. The shield surmounted by a four-towered mural crown argent.
http://portal.camaranh.rs.gov.br/municipio/brasao - Website of the Municipal Council
Paulo RS Menezes, Ivan Sache, 22 June 2014