Last modified: 2012-04-22 by ian macdonald
Keywords: rio grande do sul | nova prata |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Dirk Schönberger,
3 March 2012
An off-centred red cross, bordered white, on a green flag with the municipal arms in a white rectangle on the cross.
Official website at
Dirk Schönberger, 3 March 2012
The municipality of Nova Prata (22,830 inhabitants in 2010; 259 sq.
km) is located in northeastern Rio Grand do Sul, 180 km of Porto Alegre.
Nova Prata's territory was first owned by Silvério Antônio de Araújo,
who was granted land by the Governor of the Rio Grande do Sul
Province. Fidel Diogo Filho purchased in 1865 land from the Coroados
Indians. Joaquim Ribeiro and Manuel Joaquim da Silva were the first
colonists of the place. Most of the today's inhabitants of the
municipality (65%) are of Italian origin.
Nova Prata was originally named Capoeira (lit. "a cutting"), recalling
a windstorm that cleared part of the forest in 1850. The municipality
of Prata, established by Decree No. 3,351 of 11 August 1924 and named
for Rio da Prata (lit., Silver River), was renamed Nova Prata since a
municipality named Prata already existed in Minas Gerais. On 24 August
1932, the districts of Paraí, Nova Araçá and Protásio Alves were
transferred from Lagoa Vermelha to Nova Prata. In 1948, the districts
of Guabiju and São Jorge seceded from the district of Paraí. The
district of Rio Branco was established on 11 August 1961. Several of
these districts were subsequently established as independent
municipalities: Nova Bassano and Nova Araçá (State Law No. 4,730 of
13 May 1964), Paraí (State Law No. 4,977 of 9 July 1965), Guabiju and
São Jorge (20 September 1987) and Vista Alegre and Protásio Alves (10
The flag is quartered by a cross representing the Christian faith. The
coat of arms represents the town of Nova Prata proper, as the seat of
the municipality. White is a symbol of peace, friendship, work,
prosperity, purity and religion.
The red stripes fimbriated white represent the spread of the municipal
power on the whole municipal territory. Red symbolizes commitment,
patriotic love, audacity, courage and valiance.
The red quarters represent the rural estates located on the municipal
territory. Green symbolizes honor, civility, courtesy, joy and
abundance. It is also the symbol of hope, as the fields greening in
spring promise abundant harvests.
http://www.novaprata.rs.gov.br/sites/6700/6776/Bandeira.doc - Municipal website
The coat of arms, designed by Walter Spaldig, Professor of Heraldry,
is prescribed by Municipal Law No. 9, adopted in 1972. It is made of
"a Portuguese shield divided per fess by Rio de Prata, in chief a
field azure (blue) a five-pointed star argent, representing the sky
and the highness of the spirit of the people of Nova Prata and the
origin of the name of the place, surrounded by two araucarias vert
(green) representing the region (once covered with araucarias); hills
['coxlhas'] vert (green). Rio de Prata argent, wavy, as the symbol of
fertility and soil purity. In the middle, an old plough or,
symbolizing the rural origin of the municipality and its agricultural
The shield supported dexter by a grapevine proper fructed argent and
sinister by a plant of maize proper fructed or. Below the shield a
scroll gules (red) inscribed argent '1884 - Nova Prata - 1924",
representing the years of first settlement and of political
emancipation of the municipality, respectively.
http://www.novaprata.rs.gov.br/sites/6700/6776/Brasao.doc - Municipal website
The coat of arms represented on the municipal website does not match the companion description, since it has the chief argent and the star gules.
Ivan Sache, March 2012