Last modified: 2012-04-04 by ian macdonald
Keywords: rio grande do sul | mato leitão |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Dirk Schönberger,
A radiating rising diagonal tricolour, red-white-green with the municipal arms in the white stripe, toward the upper fly.
Official website at
Dirk Schönberger, 27 February 2012
The municipality of Mato Leitão (3,869 inhabitants in 2010; 46 sq. km) is located in eastern central Rio Grande do Sul, 140 km of Porto Alegre. Mato Leitão was settled in 1906 on land belonging to Colonel João de Freitas Leitão, the founder of Rio Pardo. The German colonists named the region Leitãowald (Leitão's forest), subsequently translated in Portuguese to Mato Leitão (Forest Leitão). The municipality of Mato Leitão was established on 20 March 1992, seceding from Venâncio Aires.
The flag uses the red, white and green colors. Red represents the struggle for political emancipation and the strong- mindedness of the inhabitants always united to face new challenges. White represents fraternity, hospitality and confidence in a prosperous and quiet future, based on faith and work. Green represents the valorization of the natural and agricultural resources of the municipality and economic progress.
The coat of arms is "a German shield, quartered by a cross gyronny argent and or (gold), recalling the faith and religion of the founders of the municipality. In chief dexter, a gyronny of 12 pieces gules (red) and or, forms a sun rich in light, warmth and life, symbolizing hospitality and confidence in a promising future. In chief sinister, argent a group of trees vert (green), recalling the forests once covering the municipal territory, then owned by João de Freitas Leitão, the promoter of the colonization and namesake of the municipality. [The remaining parts of the arms are not described.]
Photos available on the municipal website show the flag hoisted behind
the Mayor and Deputy Mayor.
Ivan Sache, March 2012