Last modified: 2012-03-28 by ian macdonald
Keywords: rio grande do sul | feliz |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Dirk Schönberger,
Divided diagonally per bend by a wavy central stripe, white over blue over green, with the name FELIZ written in an ornate script on the blue wavy stripe.
Official website at
Dirk Schönberger, 13 February 2012
The municipality of Feliz (12,359 inhabitants in 2010; 96 sq. km) is located in the Porto Alegre Metropolitan Area, 90 km of Porto Alegre. In 1998, Feliz was the Brazilian municipality with the highest Human Development Index. In 2010, Feliz has the highest rate of alphabetization in Brazil (99.05%). The German heritage of the town includes the Tankard National Festival, the Home-made Beer Festival and the Meringue and Chantilly National Festival. Feliz was established a "vila" on 22 December 1888. A local tradition says that the place was named for the happy ("feliz") end of an expedition lost in the forest in the 1850s and eventually rescued by a colonist. Another tradition claims that Feliz is a bastardization of "Pfalz" (Palatinate), the origin of most of the early colonists. The municipality of Feliz was established by State Law No. 3,762 of 17 February 1959, seceding from São Sebastião do Caí, and inaugurated on 31 May 1959.
The flag of Feliz was designed on 14 December 1981 by Guilherme Rauber.
White represents harmony; green represents hope, the mountains and the
valleys, and blue recall River Caí and its tributaries, which water
Ivan Sache, 21 March 2012