This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Uruguaiana, Rio Grande do Sul (Brazil)

Last modified: 2008-08-02 by ian macdonald
Keywords: rio grande do sul | uruguaiana | triband: horizontal (red | white | blue) | coat of arms | rice |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Flag of Tapes, 
RS (Brazil)] image by André Pires Godinho

See also:

About the Flag of Uruguaiana

The flag was adopted by law 1284/75 of 29 May 1975. It is a horizontal tricolor, red-white-blue, with the coat of arms above two crossed gold stalks of grain (probably rice) on the center, the grain overlapping into the blue stripe. The coat of arms is divided quarterly: (1) blue, two gold crossed lances, signifying the founding of the city during the period of the Farroupilha Revolt; (2) red, the medal of the Uruguayan Surrender in gold; (3) red, a broken silver chain, symbolizing the liberation of the slaves, which took place in Uruguaiana four years before the Golden Law [which liberated slaves throughout Brazil]; (4) blue, three bars wavy silver, symbolizing the Uruguay River from which the city takes its name. The shield is ensigned with a silver mural crown of four towers; for supporters, two lions argent, armed and langued gules, signifying the unusual situation of the municipality, being associated with two American countries. The scroll has the name of the city and the date of its foundation.
Joseph McMillan, 17 March 2003

Considering the evident meaning of the town's name and its location, could this flag have any relation to the likewise designed flag of the Eastern 33?
António Martins-Tuválkin, 9 July 2004

About Uruguaiana

Area : 5,707 Sq. Km.
Population: 126,654
André Pires Godinho, 7 March 2003