This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Três de Maio, Rio Grande do Sul (Brazil)

Last modified: 2012-02-10 by ian macdonald
Keywords: rio grande do sul | três de maio | cross (calvary) | farmer |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

Três de Maio, RS (Brazil) image by Joseph McMillan

See also:

About the Flag of Três de Maio

The flag is white with the coat of arms on the center. The coat of arms is yellow with a farmer sowing seeds on a green field and a red Calvary cross in the dexter chief.
Joseph McMillan, 1 August 2002

The municipality of Três de Maio (24,785 inhabitants; 388 sq. km) is located in northwestern Rio Grande do Sul, 475 km of Porto Alegre. Três de Maio is known as "Garden Town of Upper Uruguai" and "State Cradle of Students' Song", being the host of the State Students' Song Festival.

Três de Maio's territory was successively part of the municipalities of Rio Pardo (1809), Cachoeira do Sul (1819) and Cruz Alta (1839). In 1873, the territory was transferred to Santo Ângelo, then the seat of
a big municipality, subsequently split into the municipalities of Palmeria, São Borja, São Luiz, Santo Ângelo, Ijuí and Santa Rosa.
Municipal Decree No. 104 erected on 10 June 1916 Buricá as the 7th district of Santo Ângelo. Santa Rosa was made an independent municipality on 14 July 1931, with Buricá as its 2nd district, the new municipality being renamed Santa Rosa de Buricá. Colonization of Santa Rosa was officially launched by the State on 5 January 1915. There is, however, no precise record of the first colonists, who were mostly of German, Italian, Polish and Russian origin. In 1940, Buricá had 10,670 inhabitants, 707 of them living in the village of the same name. Aspiration to municipal emancipation emerged in 1948, which resulted in Law No. 2,526 of 16 December 1954 creating the new municipality, inaugurated on 28 February 1955. The new municipality was then formed of districts taken from other municipalities: Três de Maio (Santa Rosa), Ivagaçi (Três Passos), São José do Inhacorã (Santo Ângelo), and Independência (Santo Ângelo). It is made today of the five districts of Manchinha, Progresso, Quaraim, Consolata and Barrinha. The name of the municipality ("3 May") recalls that the birth date of Nely Dane Longemann, the founder of "Clube Buricá", who inaugurated the cornerstone of the club house a 3 May. Since 1930, the Buricá Club
has been the place of a traditional German dance festival organized for three days and ending on 3 May. - Unofficial Três de Maio website

The coat of arms of Três de Maio is prescribed by Municipal Law No. 25 of 31 October 1967.
The shield's shape and the crown shall recall the main origin of the municipality: the Portuguese crown and the German shield symbolize the merging of the two origins.
The crown is made of three fortresses, representing the three districts unites to form the municipality (Três de Maio, São José do Inhacorá, and parts of Independência and Ivagaçi).
The field, divided in two fields, shows a two-armed cross recalling the missions.
The yellow field stands for mornings and evenings lit by the sun.
The green field represents the municipality's fertile soil with a planter spreading seeds that would produce the basic resource of the municipality, agriculture.
The red scroll emphasizes the courage and virile spirit of the inhabitants, surrounding the name of the municipality and charged with the two main dates of the municipal history - "1916", erection as a district, and "1954", municipal emancipation -, flanking the municipal motto, "Venceu pelo trabalho" (Won through work). - Unofficial Três de Maio website

Ivan Sache, 14 January 2012