This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Porto Velho, Rondônia (Brazil)

Last modified: 2008-08-09 by ian macdonald
Keywords: rondonia | porto velho | water towers |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

Porto Velho, RO (Brazil) image by Joseph McMillan

See also:

About the Flag of Porto Velho

Officially established on 2 October 1914, Porto Velho was first settled in 1907 during the construction of the Madeira-Mamoré railroad. It is located deep in the Amazon forest and is the capital of the state of Rondônia. It is located among the ravines on the right bank of the Rio Madeira, the largest tributary on the right bank of the Amazon. It was the principal river port supporting the construction of the railroad and until the 1960s, when mineral deposits including gold were discovered in the area, was always primarily a railroad town. Porto Velho is 3,061 km upstream from the mouth of the Amazon, and 1,108 km from the junction of the Rio Madeira and the Amazon, which meet 200 km below Manaus. The population as of the 1996 census was 294,227. The flag and coat of arms were instituted in 1983, chosen from a public competition won by the poet Antônio Cândido. Both show the water tanks known as the "Three Marias."
Joseph McMillan, 30 July 2002