This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Marialva, Paraná (Brazil)

Last modified: 2012-03-03 by ian macdonald
Keywords: parana | marialva |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Flag of Marialva, PR (Brazil)] image located by Anderson Escorce, 29 January 2009

See also:

About the Flag

Navy blue flag with a red over white saltire, and the coat of arms centred on white rectangle.

The municipality of Marialva (31,972 inhabitants in 2010; 475 sq. km) is located in north central Paraná, 430 km of Curitiba. The municipality is made of the town of Marialva proper and of the districts of Aquidaban, São Luiz, São Miguel do Cambuí and Santa Fé do Pirapó. Marialva was founded in 1940 by the "Companhia de Terras Norte do Paraná" in an a area located half distance of Mandaguari and Maringá. The district of Marialva, part of the municipality of Mandaguari, was established by State Law No. 2 of 1 October 1947. The municipality of Marialva was established by State Law No. 790 of 14 November 1951 and inaugurated on 14 November 1952. The municipality is named for Pedro José de Alcântara de Meneses Noronha Coutinho (1713-1799), 4th Marquis of Marialva. The Marquisate of Marialva was established on 11 June 1661 by King of Portugal Alfonso VI for António Luis de Meneses (d. 1675), as a reward for his support during the War of Restoration (1640). The current holder of
the title is Diogo de Bragança (b. 1930), 8th Marquis of Marialva (see - Genealogy of the Marquis of Marialva).

Marialva is the "Capital of Table Grapes", producing half of the grape harvested in Paraná. Grape cultivation was developed in the 1960s by Japanese colonists. The main source of income of the municipality is emphasized by the "Grape Bunch", a huge concrete monument of 18 m in height, 9 m in width and 12 m in diameter ( - photo). The Table Grape's Festival, a 10-days event of national fame attended by 150,000 visitors, is organized every year, culminating with the election of the Queen of the Grapes ( - photos, 2011).

The symbols of Marialva were designed by Arcinoê Antonio Peixoto de Faria.

On the flag, the white rectangle represents the town of Marialva proper, as the seat of the municipality. The coat of arms represents the municipal government. The white stripes charged with a red stripe, issuing from the rectangle and quartering the flag, represent the municipal power spreading over the whole municipal territory. The blue quarters represent the rural estates on the municipal territory. Blue represents justice, nobleness, perseverance, zeal and loyalty. White represents commitment, friendship, work, prosperity, purity and religious feeling. Red symbolizes commitment, pride, audacity, intrepidness, courage and valiance. - Municipal website

The flag is seen, hoisted outdoors, on photos taken in 2011 during the Patriotic Week: (flags hoisted) (flags flying) (flags lowered)

The coat of arms is charged with an escutcheon representing the arms of Pedro de Alcântara Meneses, Marquis of Marialva*. The fleurs-de-lis symbolizes devotion to the Blessed Virgin. The shield is surmounted by a mural crown representing the municipal power. The shield is surrounded by branches of soybean and coffee, the symbol of the municipal economy. The scroll beneath the shield bears the years of political emancipation ("1951") and of establishment of the county ("comarca") ("1953"). Or represents glory, splendor, greatness, richness and sovereignty. - Municipal website

*The shield is "Quartered, 1. and 4. Portugal Royal arms fileted, 2. and 3. Azure three fleurs-de-lis or, an escutcheon or". The escutcheon represents the arms of the Meneses. The Portugal Historical Dictionary (1904-1915) claims that the escutcheon is charged with a ring, whose colour is not stated. - Portugal Historical ... Dictionary, "1st Marquis of Marialva" entry
Ivan Sache, 19 February 2012

Detail of Arms

[Flag of Marialva, PR (Brazil)] image located by Anderson Escorce, 29 January 2009