Last modified: 2012-03-03 by ian macdonald
Keywords: parana | marechal cândido rondon |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image located by
Valentin Poposki, 18 February 2006
The flag of the Municipality of Marechal Cândido Rondon in the State of Paraná, Brazil, is shown at http://www.mcr.pr.gov.br. It is a green flag with a central red on white stripe, and a white triangle extending from the hoist bearing the municipal arms.
The municipality of Marechal Cândido Rondon (46,799 inhabitants in 2010;
748 sq. km) is located in western Paraná, on the border with Paraguay, 580 km
of Curitiba. Marechal Cândido Rondon was formed in the mid 1950s by German
colonists enrolled by the "Industrial Madeireira Rio Paraná S/A – Marip"
company. Small estates were allocated to colonists coming from the
neighbouring States of Rio Grande do Sul and Santa Catarina. The district of
General Rondon was established within the municipality of Toledo in 1953 and
renamed Marechal Cândido Rondon when established a municipality on 25 July
1960. The name of the municipality was "upgraded" after the National Congress
had awarded the title of Marshal to General Rondon in 1955. Marshal Rondon
(1865-1958) is most famous for his exploration of Mato Grosso and the Western
Amazon Basin, and his lifelong support of Brazilian indigenous populations;
he developed telegraph lines all over the country and is honored as the
"Father of the Brazilian Telecommunications". One of the most revered
Brazilian heroes and patriots, Rondon is the namesake of the State of
Rondônia and of the municipalities of Rondon (Pará), Marechal Cândido Rondon
(Paraná), Marechal Rondon (Mato Grosso) and Rondonópolis (Mato Grosso), not
to mention thousands of streets, schools, ..., and, last but not least, one
of the most recently discovered monkey, Rondon's marmoset (Mico rondoni),
found in 2010 in Rondônia.
On the flag of Marechal Cândido Rondon, the coat of arms represents the municipal government while the white triangle represents the town as the seat of the municipality. White means peace, friendship, work, prosperity, purity and religious feeling. The stripes represent the municipal power spreading over the whole municipal territory. Red means commitment, patriotic love, audacity; intrepidness, courage and valiance. The green fields are symbols of honor, civility, courtesy, joy and abundance, representing fields greening in spring and promising profuse harvests. The design and proposed explanation of the flag are clear hints that it was designed by Arcinoê Antonio Peixoto de Faria, or, at least, according to his designing principles.
The coat of arms of Marechal Cândido Rondon is a tribute to Marshal Cândido Rondon, looking to the economical activities of the municipality, which are based on courtesy, joy and abundance of the agriculture and industrial transformation of its products. Black means austerity, prudence, sovereignty, moderation and strong-mindedness.
Ivan Sache, 19 February 2012