This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Matupá, Mato Grosso (Brazil)

Last modified: 2011-01-14 by ian macdonald
Keywords: mato grosso | matupá |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Flag of Matupá, MT (Brazil)] image by Dirk Schönberger, 1 December 2010
Source: adapted from

See also:

About the Flag

A horizontal tricolor, blue-yellow-green, and in the upper hoist, the municipal arms.

Official website at
Dirk Schönberger, 1 December 2010

The municipality of Matupá (15,170 inhabitants in 2009; 5,152 sq. km) is located in northern Mato Grosso, on the border with the State of Pará. Matupá is a Tupi word meaning both "a dense forest near a river or a lake" and "a forest abandoned by God". The town was founded with the support of the Agropecuária do Cachimbo colonization company, part of the Ometto Group. Hermínio Ometto (1914-1986) is considered as the founding father of Matupá. The foundation date is considered to be 19 September 1984. The urban nucleus of Matupá was made a District of the Municipality of Colíder by Law No. 4,937 of 11 December 1985; Law No. 5,317 of 4 July 1988 made of Matupá an independent municipality.

The flag is horizontally divided blue-yellow-green with the municipal coat of arms in canton, equally overlapping the blue and yellow stripe. It is hoisted in front of the town hall with the flags of Brazil and Mato Grosso.,1341,55.html  - Image labelled "Prefeitura de Matupá-MT"

The coat of arms is made of a shield in Portuguese style, with a rounded-off base. The lower part of the shield shows a forest and river landscape [alluding to the etymology of Matupá] surmounted by a white bird representing peace. In the middle of the shield, three cogwheels represent the industrialization of the municipality, on right mining industry, on left, cattle-breeding, on top, agriculture. The field of the shield is sky blue. The shield is surmounted by a yellow crown charged with the name of the municipality in black letters. The shield is surrounded on left by a panicle of rice and on right by a branch of forest fruit, crossed per saltire under the shield and bearing a red scroll charged with the date of foundation of the municipality "04 de Julho de 1988", 4 July 1988).
Ivan Sache, 4 December 2010