This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Diamantino, Mato Grosso (Brazil)

Last modified: 2010-12-10 by ian macdonald
Keywords: mato grosso | diamantino |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Flag of Diamantino, MT (Brazil)] image by Dirk Schönberger, 23 November 2010

See also:

About the Flag

Horizontally divided green-yellow-blue-yellow-green, 1-1-4-1-1, and in the middle blue stripe four white stars arranged in 1-2-1 in the middle, and one smaller white star to the lower fly.

Official website at
Dirk Schönberger, 23 November 2010

The municipality of Diamantino (19,903 inhabitants in 2004; 7,764 sq. km) is located in the north of Mato Grosso, 200 km of Cuiabá. The watershed between the basins of Amazon and Río de la Plata, a plateau known as Chapada dos Parecis, is located on the municipal territory.

The diamond mines that gave the name of the municipality were discovered on 18 September 1728 (date of the official claim) by Gabriel Antunes Maciel, only nine years after the discovery of the gold mines of Cuiabá by Paschoal Moreira Cabral and Miguel Sutil. The settlement that developed on the confluence of Cold and Diamond Rivers was made on 23 November 1820 the town of Vila de Nossa Senhora da Conceição do Alto Paraguai Diamantino. On 16 July 1918, the town was made by State Law No. 772 a "cidade" renamed Diamantino (correcting the early, erroneous belief that Diamond River was connected to River Paraguai).

The flag is blue with two thin horizontal stripes, green and yellow, on top and bottom, and the five white stars of the Southern Cross in the middle.

Green represents the resources in agriculture and cattle breeding, the two water basins of South America (Amazone and Río de la Plata) and navigation on the Paraguai. Yellow represents gold and diamond. Blue represents the pure environment and the tropical sky charged with the white stars.
Ivan Sache, 24 November 2010