Last modified: 2012-03-03 by ian macdonald
Keywords: minas gerais | itaúna |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Dirk Schönberger, 10 July 2010
A white flag with a descending diagonal stripe of green over red.
Official website at
The flag is shown on the official site at http://www.itauna.mg.gov.br/mat_vis.aspx?cd=9115.
Dirk Schönberger, 10 July 2010.
The municipality of Itaúna (85,396 inhabitants in 2010; 486 sq. km) is
located in central western Minas Gerais, 80 km of Belo Horizonte.
Itaúna was originally settled on 12 February 1739 by Gabriel da Silva Pereira, Tomás Teixeira and Manoel Neto de Melo. The founding act was the building of a chapel on a hill. The town of Itaúna actually emerged with the establishment of a post office on 17 February 1877, although the creation of the "vila" of Itaúna was rejected by the Provincial Assembly. On 14 July 1901, Senocrit Nogueira, President of the District Assembly, submitted a resolution to the Provincial Assembly, which eventually made of Itaúna a municipality separated from Pará de Minas by Law No. 319 of 16 September 1901.
The flag of Itaúna is prescribed by Municipal Law No. 330 of 11 October 1956 The flag was selected in a public contest prescribed by Municipal Law No. 328 of 10 August 1956. Ordinance No. 659 of 8 September 1956 set up the jury, composed of Dr. Lincoln Nogueira Machado, Dr. José Drumond and Dr. Marcelo Dornas de Lima. The results of the contest were proclaimed on Radio "Clube de Itaúna" on 10 September 1956 at 19:00. The winner of the contest was Eponina Maria do Carmo Nogueira Gomide Soares (1927-1979).
Red is a tribute to the flag of Portugal and to the flag of the colonists ("bandeirantes") who settled Itaúna. Green is a tribute to the flag of Brazil. White is a tribute to all Brazilian flags, since white is a neutral color.
Ivan Sache, 5 February 2012