Last modified: 2012-02-10 by ian macdonald
Keywords: minas gerais | dores de campos |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
by Dirk Schönberger, 27 June 2010
A light blue-white-red tricolor with the municipal arms in the center.
Official website at
Dirk Schönberger, 27 June 2010
The municipality of Dores de Campos (9,3030 inhabitants in 2010; 127 sq. km)
is located in southern Minas Gerais, 220 km of Belo Horizonte.
Dores de Campos was established in the 19th century by the five sons of Bernardo Francisco da Silva, the founder of the village of Patusca. The district of Dores de Patusca was established by State Decree No. 14 of 15 April 1890, its territory being transfered from Tiradentes to Prados. Dores de Campos was made a "cidade" and municipality on 17 December 1938.
The coat of arms of Dores de Campos is made of a Portuguese - or Iberic-, rounded-off shield, the most used in Brazilian municipal heraldry, recalling the Portuguese origins.
The chief is divided in three parts:
- 1. Azure (blue), tools o gold pioneers ("bandeirante"), symbolizing the first colonists of the region;
- 2. Yellow the symbol of the Christian religion - a cross with the holly shroud hanging on the horizontal arm of the cross, meaning that Christ is alive;
- 3. Azure (blue) a lyre, recalling music and the artistic traditions of the town.
The field is or, charged with a fig-tree* vert (green), trunk proper, terraced vert. The fig-tree, the heraldic symbol of a quiet life and concord, is also a symbol of strength, shelter and sublime thinking. The mural crown is the heraldic representation of power; its eight towers represent a town of second rank, that is the seat of a country ("comarca"). Its gates gules represent hospitality granted to everyone looking for a safe shelter. The shield is flanked by old shoemaker's tools, recalling the historical significance of leather industry for the municipality. The scroll gules is inscribed with the name of the municipality flanked by its dates of original settlement and political emancipation, respectively.
http://www.portaldoresdecampos.com/utilidade/brasao-da-bandeira - Municipal website
* This fig-tree represents the Enchanted Fig-tree, the historical symbol of Dores de Campos (http://www.panoramio.com/photo/23519982 - photo, 1910)
Ivan Sache, 29 January 2012