Last modified: 2012-02-10 by ian macdonald
Keywords: minas gerais | dom joaquim |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
by Dirk Schönberger, 24 June 2010
A red off-centered cross, fimbriated white, on a blue field with the municipal arms in a white disk on the cross.
Official website at
Dirk Schönberger, 24 June 2010
The municipality of Dom Joaquim (4,535 inhabitants in 2010; 407 ha) is
located in the Belo Horizonte Metropolitan Area, 200 km of Belo Horizonte.
Dom Joaquim was established as a municipality by State Law No. 148 of 17 December 1938, seceding from Conceição do Mato Dentro. The municipality is named for Dom Joaquim Silvério de Souza (1859-1933), 2nd Bishop (1910) and 1st Archbishop (1917) of Diamantina. The settlement developed around a chapel dedicated to St. Dominic erected around 1770 by Domingos Barbosa de Carvalho.
The symbols of Dom Joaquim, designed by Arcinóe Antônio Peixoto de Faria, are prescribed by Municipal Law No. 460 of 14 December 1979. On the arms, the episcopal cap recalls Dom Joaquim Silvério de Souza, the namesake of the municipality. The eight-pointed yellow star is the symbol of St. Dominic, the patron saint of the municipality. The coffee branches represent agriculture and cattle-breeding, the main sources of income of the municipality. The blue wavy stripe represents River Peixe ("Fish River"), the main watercourse in the municipality. The mural crown and the shield in the Flemish classic style represent the Portuguese origin, and especially that of the two founders of the town, Domingos Barbosa de Carvalho and João Lopes de Albuquerque. Blue is a symbol of justice, nobleness, perseverance, zeal, loyalty, recreation and beauty. White is a symbol of peace, friendship, work, prosperity, purity and religious feeling. Red is a symbol of commitment, patriotic feeling, audacity, intrepidness, courage and valiance. Yellow is a symbol of glory, splendor, highness and sovereignty.
http://www.domjoaquimonline.com.br/acidade/simbolos.asp - Municipal website
Ivan Sache, 29 January 2012