This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Wevelgem (Municipality, Province of West Flanders, Belgium)

Last modified: 2008-04-26 by ivan sache
Keywords: wevelgem | triangle (yellow) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Flag of Wevelgem]

Municipal flag of Wevelgem - Image by Arnaud Leroy, 12 January 2008

See also:

Presentation of Wevelgem

The municipality of Wevelgem (30,926 inhabitants on 1 January 2007; 3,876 ha) is located between Kortrijk and the border with France. The municipality of Wevelgem is made since 1976 of the former municipalities of Wevelgem (15,808 inh.; 1,418 ha), Gullegem (8,863 inh.; 960 ha) and Moorsele (6,251 inh.; 1,498 ha).

Located in the outskirts of Kortrijk on the river Leie and once one of the capitals of flax production in Flanders, Wevelgem is mostly famous as the arrival town of the Ghent-Wevelgem cyclist race.
Organized since 1934 in the week separating the Tour of Flanders from Paris-Roubaix, Ghent-Wevelgem, starting from Deinze since 2004, is known as the sprinters' classic because of its very flat route, but the competitors have to climb twice the famous Kemmelberg.
Only four champions could win the race three times: Robert Van Eenaeme (1936, 1937 and 1945), Rik Van Looy (1956, 1957 and 1962), Eddy Merckx (1967, 1970 and 1973) and Mario Cipollini (1992, 1993 and 2002). As of 2008, the Belgians had won 46 of the 70 Ghent-Wevelgem races.

Ivan Sache, 15 February 2008

Municipal flag of Wevelgem

The municipal flag of Wevelgem is blue with a yellow triangle having the lower edge of the flag as its base and the middle of the flag as its point.
According to Gemeentewapens in België - Vlaanderen en Brussel, the flag was adopted by the Municipal Council on 14 December 1979, confirmed by Royal Decree on 29 October 1981 and published in the Belgian official gazette on 11 December 1981.
The flag is a stylized banner of the municipal arms.

Servais shows the arms of Wevelgem as "Azure a pointed mount or". The pointed mount has been transformed into a triangle on the flag.

Pascal Vagnat & Ivan Sache, 1 January 2008