Last modified: 2008-04-26 by ivan sache
Keywords: wichelen |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Municipal flag of Wichelen - Image by Filip van Laenen, 22 October 2001
The municipality of Wichelen (11,099 inhabitants on 1 January 2007; 2,287 ha) is located on the Scheldt, between Ghent and Dendermonde. The municipality of Wichelen is made since 1976 of the former municipalities of Wichelen, Schellebelle and Serskamp.
Ivan Sache, 2 January 2008
The municipal flag of Wichelen is horizontally divided blue-yellow-red.
According to Gemeentewapens in België - Vlaanderen en Brussel, the flag was adopted by the Municipal Council on 17 June 1982, confirmed by the Executive of Flanders on 3 December 1984 and published in the Belgian official gazette on 8 July 1986.
The three stripes of the flag stand for the three former municipalities merged into Wichelen; their colours are taken from the municipal arms.
The municipal arms of Wichelen; are "Per fess 1. Or two lions gules accosted 2. Azure three
tau crosses or."
The lower part of the arms is made of the former arms of Schellebelle, granted by Royal Decree on 1 February 1932. According to Servais, the tau crosses recall the lords of Bette, lords of Schellebelle in the XVth century. The arms of Schellebelle are used today as the municipal arms and the matching banner of arms by the neighbouring municipality of Lede.
Pascal Vagnat & Ivan Sache, 2 January 2008