Last modified: 2008-04-26 by ivan sache
Keywords: wezembeek-oppem | cross: moline (white) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Municipal flag of Wezembeek-Oppem - Image by Arnaud Leroy, 12 January 2008
The municipality of Wezembeek-Oppem (13,496 inhabitants on 1 January 2007; 682 ha), a Dutch-speaking municipality with "facilities" for its French-speaking citizens, is located just east of the Region of Brussels-Capital, from which it is separated by a thin strip of land belonging to Kraainem.
Ivan Sache, 2 January 2008
The municipal flag of Wezembeek-Oppem is white with the municipal arms
in the middle, a black shield charged with a white cross moline.
According to Gemeentewapens in België - Vlaanderen en Brussel, the flag was adopted by the Municipal Council on 10 September 1987, confirmed by the Executive of Flanders on 17 November 1987 and published in the Belgian official gazette on 16 September 1988.
According to Servais, the municipal arms of Wezembeek-Oppem, granted by
Royal Decree on 22 March 1920, belonged to the Knights of Burbure,
owners of Wezembeek from 1692 to the end of the XIXth century.
Leo de Burbure (1812-1889) was made a writing case in neo-gothic style (1858) by the architect and sculptor Frans Durlet (1816-1867) and the silversmith Lambert Van Ryswyck (1822-1894), both from Antwerp. The book-shaped case was offerred to Burbure as a tribute to the inventory and classification of the archives of the cathedral of Antwerp. Showing the arms of Burbure, the writing case is kept in the Flanders Silver Room, part of the Silver Museum of Antwerp.
Albert De Burbure De Wesembeek published in 1946 a book entitled Le Centenaire de la ligne Ostende-Douvres (1846-1946).
There is a municipality (2,840 inhabitants; 553 ha) called Burbure in the north of France (department of Pas-de-Calais).